Legal Resources

Northwest Justice Project (NJP) CLEAR Hotline
Washington’s toll-free, centralized intake, advice, and referral service for low-income people seeking free legal assistance with civil legal problems. Services are generally limited to issues that affect basic needs such as housing, income, medical care, and family safety.  Learn more>

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB)
CFPB’s mission is to protect consumers in the areas of mortgages, credit cards, banking, and other financial services. To register a complaint or learn more, go to

Eastside Legal Assistance Program (ELAP)
Provides free or low-cost, high quality civil legal services to low-income residents of East and Northeast King County, Washington and Domestic Violence legal aid throughout King County, Washington.  Call 425-747-7272.  Learn more>

King County Bar Association
Provides free legal clinics are offered with access to advice and consultation. Also, it may provide individual representation.  Call 206-267-7100.  Learn more> 

King County Bar Association Bankruptcy Clinic
Provides clients with the opportunity to speak to an attorney for a half hour, free of charge. Attorneys will not represent them in court or fill out paperwork, but they will read the paperwork and answer questions. To schedule an appointment, call 206-267-7070 between 9 a.m. and noon, Monday through Thursday.

King County Law Library
Legal Clinics at the Public Law Library.  Learn more>

Pierce County Law Library.  Learn more>

Northwest Consumer Law Center
NWCLC provides affordable legal help for low and moderate income people who are struggling with debt and unfair creditors. Services including bankruptcy, foreclosure prevention, debt collection defense, credit reporting disputes, student loan issues, and advocacy against automobile purchase/loan fraud. To get started, call 206-805-1722.

Northwest Justice Project (NJP)
Washington’s publicly-funded legal aid program and may provide individual representation. Strict income eligibility guidelines apply.  Call 206-464-1519.  Learn more>

Snohomish Legal Services (SCLS)
SCLS was started in the early 1980s as a program of the Snohomish Bar Association to address the growing need for civil legal aid in the community.  They provide free legal aid programs that serve the most vulnerable and powerless members of our community to ensure access to civil justice regardless of individual barriers and needs.  Learn more>

As part of a new program, people with civil (non-criminal) legal problems in King County can now dial 2-1-1 to receive information about and referrals to numerous free and low-cost civil legal services. The local number is 206-461-3200, and the toll-free number is 1-877-2-1-1-WASH (9274).

Washington Law Help
Provides extensive self-help information and a directory of legal service providers.  Learn more>

Answering a Lawsuit for Debt Collection
DEBT COLLECTION LAWSUIT?  Washington LawHelp has a new interactive interview to assist individuals facing a debt collection lawsuit in Washington state. Answering a Lawsuit for Debt Collection allows you to create the paperwork you need to defend yourself and respond correctly and on time. After you complete an online interview, the documents are created for you to print out, sign, file and serve.

This is one of several interactive “HotDocs” interviews available at Washington LawHelp, where you can also create court papers to Seal Juvenile Court Records.