Tax Preparation

If you make less than $66,000, United Way of King County will help you prepare and file your taxes for FREE.  Now through April 19, 2018, they’ll have free tax experts at 30 locations, ready to help you maximize your refund.  No appointment is needed.  A list of tax sites locations and what to bring can be downloaded here>.  Learn more>

The IRS is reminding taxpayers with expiring ITINs of the importance of renewing them now to avoid possible delays if they plan to file a tax return in 2018.

To support the effort, Media Relations issued a news release (IR-2017-184 and IR-2017-184SP) to encourage more taxpayers to take advantage of this opportunity.

As a reminder, all ITINs not used on a federal income tax return at least once in the last three consecutive tax years and ITINs with middle digits 70, 71, 72 or 80 will expire at the end of the year. All updated information is on Taxpayers can link to the information in Spanish, Chinese, Russian, Vietnamese, Korean and Haitian Creole from that page. ITINs that expired last

year with middle digits 78 and 79 can also be renewed.

The IRS has been tweeting regularly about ITIN renewals from @IRSnews and @IRSenEspanol.

  1. Renewing Your ITIN (Pub 5257) – A full-page flyer with more information than Pub 5256
  2. ITIN YouTube video (English and Spanish)
  3. ITIN Fact Sheet (Pub 5259)

Need Help? Ask a Librarian 24/7

Free Tax Help is available at the Seattle Public Library. For locations and times refer to the Calendar of Events and search Free Tax Help.  Calendar of Events> .

Need help or have a comment? Use “Ask a Librarian” by:

AARP Tax Aide

AARP offers tax preparation and assistance for low and moderate-income individuals aged 60 and older. To locate the nearest AARP Tax-Aide site, call 888-227-7669 or  Learn more>

The University of Washington Federal Tax Clinic

The Tax Clinic represents income eligible taxpayers who have ongoing disputes with the Internal Revenue Service.  Call 866-866-0158.  Learn more>