The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB)has a set of tools and resources to help homebuyers and homeowners feel more confident, become more informed, and make smarter decisions about mortgages. It’s called “Owning a Home.” Learn more>
The CFPB’s “Owning a Home” can help you:
- Learn about your loan options: As you begin your home and mortgage search, this guide will tell you all you need to know to choose the right mortgage for your situation.
- Check interest rates: This tool gives you a realistic sense for the range of interest rates you should expect when shopping for a mortgage, so you can know whether you’re getting a good deal.
- Understand your closing forms: Learn what to look for in your closing documents before signing.
- Get ready for closing: As you near the end of the process, a simple checklist will help prepare you for the big day.
- Know Before You Owe mortgage initiative – Loan Estimate and interactive sample.
You can also attend a local homebuyer education seminar. These classes are FREE and are at least five hours long.
There are different types of homebuyer education classes advertised by a variety of sources. Many banks, brokers, and real estate offices offer classes; however, some may be biased towards their own products and services. Seminars offered by nonprofits and sponsored by Washington State Housing Finance Commission (WSHFC) or the NeighborWorks Center for Homeownership Education and Counseling are designed to provide neutral, unbiased education on the home-buying process.
Online Homebuyer Education: eHome America is approved by WSHFC and available through HomeSage, a Washington State NeighborWorks® collaboration.
Learn more >
A Regional Coalition for Housing (ARCH): Provides information and guidance for those in East King County. Visit www.archhousing.org or call 425-861-3677.
American Financial Solutions: Provides housing counseling. Visit www.myfinancialgoals.org or call 888-864-8699
El Centro de la Raza: Call (206) 957-4634 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Habitat for Humanity of Seattle-King County: Visit www.habitatskc.org or call (206) 453-2950.
HomeSight: Provides housing counseling and purchase assistance. Visit www.homesightwa.org or call 206-723-4355 or toll free 888-749-4663.
Homestead Community Land Trust: Provides housing counseling and purchase assistance. Visit www.homesteadclt.org or call 206-323-1227.
Parkview Services: Provides homeownership services and general counseling to adults with developmental disabilities and family members who will live with them. Visit www.parkviewservices.org or call 206-542-6644.
Urban League: Provides housing counseling, purchase assistance and foreclosure prevention. Visit www.urbanleague.org/housing or call 206-461-3792.
Washington State Housing Finance Commission-Homeownership Division: Provides seminars statewide. Visit www.wshfc.org/buyers/education.htm or call 800-767-4663.