Rental Resources

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB)
The COVID-19 pandemic has made it difficult for renters and landlords to cover housing costs. With the CDC moratorium ending on July 31, many renters are worried about catching up on past-due rent and facing eviction. Help is available.

Renters—and landlords—can apply for money from the U.S. Department of Treasury’s Emergency Rental Assistance (ERA) program. The funds are being distributed by state and local organizations to their local communities. This money can help with rent, utility bills, and even moving costs.

The CFPB new Rental Assistance Finder allows people to find aid based on the state or territory or tribe or tribal lands where they live. Please share this resource with your networks so that more people can stay in their homes and avoid eviction.

For more information on the new tool, please see the CFPB press release and blog.

Additionally, the CFPB digital toolkit for media, intermediaries, and other stakeholders provides the most up-to-date information and resources that you can share with struggling renters about rental assistance.

At Washington LawHelp you will find general information, self-help packets and resources for to assist you with tenant’s rights.  Learn more>.

Video – I Got an Eviction Notice! Tenants & Landlords in Washington State

Solid Ground: Operates a statewide hotline for tenants seeking information on the Residential Landlord/Tenant Act and renters’ rights. Tenant counselors can provide legal referrals and action plans appropriate to each tenant’s needs.  The hotline number is 206-694-6767.  Learn more>

HUD -Tenant Rights, Laws, and Protections in Washington State. Learn more> 

A number of local agencies offer landlord-tenant information. Some also aid in settling disputes.

For rental assistance resources, contact the Community Information Line at: 2-1-1 (from a landline only) or 206-461-3200 or toll free 1-877-2-1-1-927. Learn more>

City of Seattle Utility Discount Program.  Learn more>

Washington WorkFirst can also provide information about programs that can assist you with housing. Learn more>

For low-income permanent housing resources refer to, or searching HUD subsidized properties. Learn more>

Emergency Cash Assistance:  If you have an emergency and need a one-time cash payment to get or keep safe housing or utilities, you may be eligible for the Additional Requirements for Emergent Needs (AREN).